Athletes under the supervision of a biokineticist will be monitored with regard to safe return to sport. The Alter G, anti-gravity treadmill (see illustration right) which is used to decrease the patients body weight in order to exercise pain free and modify their gait has the following benefits for sports rehabilitation:
- Due to the ability to adjust the percentage of weight bearing one can exercise at fractional body weights to control metabolic workload and musculoskeletal strain while optimising gait and range of motion. This means that an athlete can still maintain cardiovascular fitness, even though he/she may be injured
- Exercise on the Alter G is safer than a normal treadmill due to an individual being able to exercise at reduced body weight joint stress and pain is minimised. Due to the nature of the Alter G treadmill there is less chance of falling compared to a normal treadmill
- Promote full range of motion to train for normal joint health and function, and results in an athlete being able to return to sports in a shorter time than before
How can Keulder and Associates Biokinetics help?
- Assessing for possible injury prone areas.
- Rehabilitation using the Alter G for optimal results.
- Increasing strength and proprioception to decrease chances of injury / re-injury
- Plyometric work.